I love pesto. Not only is it incredibly delicious but it’s so versatile as well. Used as a topper on fish, tossed with noodles or zoodles, severed over eggs, over chicken, the list goes on.
At a recent trip to Trader Joe’s, I had picked up a big container of fresh basil leaves. I knew I wanted to make pesto with them but wanted to create a recipe that was compliant.
After tinkering around a bit, I came up with one that I think fits the bill.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup roasted cashews
- ½ cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 T lemon juice
- ¾ cup compliant neutral oil such as avocado oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until mixture becomes a sauce and nuts are ground.
- Adjust for seasonings.
- Note: Refrigerate any unused sauce in a tightly sealed container.